Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Y'all

Disclaimer: I apologize ahead of time if I offend anyone

Being from Chicago I already stand out on Auburn's campus. In class as soon as I open my mouth to speak I receive confused and puzzled looks while I am asked with a crinkled face..."where are you from??" I knew what I was getting into when arriving in Auburn 4 years ago, but I still have not learned to embrace nor absorb that southern twang. Sitting in my rhetoric class (yes, rhetoric is still taught) a girl raised her hand with perplexity as she asked the professor why the contraction "y'all" was not the generic gender pronoun. I immediately let out one of those half cough laughs as I turned around to put a face with this ignorant question. First of all, the contraction y'all is not even in the dictionary and as I write this my spell check underlines it in red reconfirming that it's not a word. And secondly, she actually thought this made up word should be taught as the generic pronoun to replace "they". Should I have been more understanding of her background and lack of intelligence? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment