Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Infatuation with "Free"


I read on Twitter this morning that Chipotle is giving away a FREE side of guacamole with your burrito if you are wearing green for St. Patrick's Day. Before even checking with Mothership Google for legitimacy, I went ahead a re-tweeted this unbelievable news. After telling the rest of the office and blasting the news through my gchat I thought about why people were getting so worked up over a free 2 oz cup of guac. It's not like Chipotle was giving away free Priuses- though I think Toyota is...check with Google first. But seriously, where does our obsession with "free" come from? I've always believed that there is no such thing as a "free lunch". There are always strings attached. Like sure you may be indulging in a free cup of delicious guac, but your body (most likely your hips) is going to pay for it later on.

I think what draws us in to this concept of "Free" is that we are getting a prize or being rewarded. Getting anything free is great; free shipping, free sample size with full purchase, free McMuffin when the Blackhawks score, free tacos, free free free. We like having little surprises and pleasant speed-bumps within our normally predictable day. It's that "oh, it's free?!" feeling when you start to pull out your money. For someone who gets excited over the little things, I'm definitely going to go the Chipotle and get my free 2 oz cup of guac, even if my intolerant stomach will retaliate later! It's FREE!


No comments:

Post a Comment