Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jury Duty

I am currently serving Jury Duty for Lake county. This consists of me, as well as 150 other people, waiting in a room until random numbers are called for jury selection. Believe me, it's exactly like pulling lotto numbers or my favorite, Bingo. But I'd like to let everyone know that the next time you receive the notice in the mail don't cringe and start immediately complaining. I had the same reaction up until I actually served. Although the days are long, most people only have to attend the jury commission one or two days a week, unless you are chosen for an actual trail-which is actually very interesting and educational.

Okay, so you have to take a day off from work-not the worst thing in the world considering you are still getting paid by your employer. Yes, you do have a lot of "unavoidable idle time", but heeeelllllooo bring your updated ipod, laptop, and book. Who wouldn't like a virtually free day to surf the Internet or finish a great book? I thought jury duty consisted people sitting in a jam packed room inches from each other with little to no elbow room. I had images of people breathing on me and even touching me-gross. Talk about complete lack of personal space. But this is not the case! There is plenty of room for people to spread out. Tables and even computers are available along with free wifi access. So go ahead, watch that movie you downloaded and haven't had time to watch! Another unnoticed perk of jury duty is the $5 credit for lunch or coffee. I know $5-wow what kind of lunch is that going to buy you. WRONG>the cafeteria provides delicious sandwiches, salads, and even paninis to the jurors for all of $5 including a bag of chips and soft drink!! Oh yeah, it was good too!

So let's recap- paid vacation day from the rest of annoying cubical-chip-chomping coworkers, an entire business day free to your leisure, and a free lunch. Okay, this isn't sounding so bad. Hmmmmm jury duty or dentist....jury duty please!! I can admit that I thoroughly enjoyed my day sitting in a room full of strangers. It's amazing what you can learn from others and my personal favorite pastime- NETWORKING. Let's get real people and stop bashing jury duty!

No comments:

Post a Comment