Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Third Wheel


I want to address a topic that not everyone understands completely. The idea of being "the third wheel" is not something a person desires to be and is never enjoyable. I deserve a trophy for the amount of third wheeling I have done in the past 6 months. I enjoy being single and living independently while I move on to the next phase of my life. However, I don't get gratification from sitting on my couch alone on a Sunday night. It seems all of my friends have suddenly started dating people. One would think Auburn would be filled with eligible bachelors, but I have exceeded the limit of Guy Harvey and colored croakies that I can handle for my entire lifetime. My roommate sometimes asks me to join her and her boyfriend it make dinner or watch a movie which I appreciate, but typically turn down this invitation. No matter how close you are with your friends or a couple you automatically feel isolated and often times uncomfortable and even feel like the couple would rather be alone. When third wheeling the person cannot help but wish they had a significant other, at least at that particular moment in time. This is not a post bashing couples and people madly in love. This post is bringing those couples to the attention of the third wheel and how awkward and undesirable it is to a single when put in the situation. You should embrace your singleness and learn to dodge the dreaded third, fifth, and even seventh wheel trauma.

No comments:

Post a Comment